Cigalus enjoys a hot, sunny Mediterranean climate (described as “semi-arid with temperate spring variants”) ensuring early ripening of all the grape varieties. This arid climate (low rainfall) is offset by the very deep soils (sediments deposited by the Aussou, a stream at the edge of the estate) which stores the winter rains for longer but are less fertile due to the presence of a slightly chalky sandstone in the subsoil, dating back to the Campanian (secondary era, prior to the emergence of the Pyrenees).
The vineyard is managed according to the biodynamic system where the energy of the soil lies at the heart of the process. From planting, this vineyard was designed for the development of a top-of-the-range wine: choice of qualitative clones and high planting density greater than 5,000 vines per hectare; high wall bars to obtain a high leaf area favoring photosynthesis and maturation. Great care and attention are lavished on the vineyard in order to achieve a healthy harvest with moderate yields (25 hl/ha) and hence get the very best out of the grapes. The harvesting date is triggered grape variety by grape variety, and only when the grapes have reached optimum ripeness and after they have been rigorously tasted. The hand-picked grapes are pneumatically pressed as soon as they get to the winery. After light static settling, some of the juice undergoes alcoholic fermentation in new barrels (70%), while the rest is vinified in stainless steel vats (30%). Malolactic fermentation is then performed. Temperature control is used to conserve all the freshness and integrity of the aromas. Maturing in barrels lasts 7 to 8 months – until the spring equinox – with regular stirring. After a light fining operation the wine is bottled.
Golden yellow colour, brilliant and limpid. Intense and complex nose of ripe citrus fruits (grapefruit), white peach, honey, dried fruit with a toasted note. Full and silky, ripe, ample mouth with notes of vanilla, toast, butter and exotic fruits. Good length in the mouth.
Food and Wine Pairing
Serve at 10 – 12°C with fried scallops, fish cooked in sauce, or as an aperitif.
The parcel has just arrived! Thanks again, it was great doing business with you. Everything was very well packed. I will come back to you when my current stock is finished.
All the best
Julian, Your Content Goes Here
This is my first order of wine with this company and I am pleasantly surprised by their attention to customers. This company has “Customer First” as a mindset and there is no need to highlight that I appreciate this highly. Keep it up, guys!
Jack Detiger, Your Content Goes Here
Marvellous service, perfect recommendations, superb on price! I won’t buy wine from anywhere else
Was amazing! All of the wines. Thank you again for everything and for your help in making our trip so memorable 🙂
Danielle Rosen, Hen Party Organiser
All the 600+ bottles of wine you generously donated to StreetLife have now been “sold” and all moneies received via donations. As a result you have helped us raise €915.00 for our Animal Sterilisation Programme – we are overwhelmed by the response.
Graeme & Linda, StreetLife
Empresa 5 estrelas, excelentes profissionais, educados e muito criativos. Obrigada a Sara e ao André pelo profissionalismo de hoje e de sempre!
Carolina Lã Azedo
Really great service and an excellent range of wines from different countries. Try the Prime experience, you will not be disappointed.
Amazing variety of wines from all over the place. Bill and his wife are top notch. Stop by and see them!
Dear Bill, Thanks for supporting ACCAKIDS. Your auction prizes really contribute to our bottom line at fundraising events. Wishing you continued success on behalf of ACCAKIDS.
Wanda Crawford, ACCAKIDS
On behalf of AFPOP EA thank you for a great wine tasting. Some interesting wines and ports… some of the ports surprised me as I’m not necessarily a port drinker. Rita was excellent… very easy to listen to and the wines were very easy to drink! Your team were fabulous… nibbles great… overall a successful wine tasting event. Once again, thank you and I’m sure we will see you again soon.
Linda, Eastern Algarve Events Organiser
Hi Bill, Just a short note to say that with your support, we raised over €100,000 for 4 charities last Wednesday.
Thank you for you generosity , we appreciate it.